24 minutes, 14 seconds

That's how long it took me to climb the CN Tower today. All 142 flights.

I was really nervous going into it. Signing up seemed like a good idea. A good way to test my fitness after six weeks of boot camp. Then I remembered that I'm kinda claustrophobic, but by that time it was too late to back out.

It turned out to be much easier than I thought. There's a huge air shaft that runs up one entire side of the stairs, separated by heavy wire mesh, making the stairwell feel spacious. It also helped that the stairs and railings were open metal. I kept a steady walking pace. Perhaps I could have pushed myself a little harder but I was cautious about overheating and feeling suffocated.

All the recent exercise has done me good. The cardio was tough but my legs were super strong. My muscles didn't burn at all. My legs have felt more tired after a boot camp session. But let's see how I feel in a day or two.

All in all, the event was a bit tedious (2 1/2 hours of waiting for 1/2 hour of climbing) but totally worthwhile to be able to say that I took the stairs to the top of the CN Tower. Elevators are for suckers!

2 comments:

macnic said...

Way to go! Was this for WWF?

Gillian said...

This one was for the United Way. The MacLaren team set a goal to raise $2000 and we ended up raising almost $6000!