2006: The Year In Review

So I'm a little late on my year-end wrap-up, but that seems fitting for 2006. If there's one word I could use to summarize the year, it's "hectic." I have never been busier in my entire life, but that's not a bad thing.

2006 was the year of the New Job.
By far, the most significant event of 2006 was landing my new job back in February. I went from a small marketing shop of about 15 people to the country's largest advertising agency, working on their largest account. It's the most challenging job of my career to date and I put in a lot of extra hours. Exactly where I should be 10 years into my working life.

2006 was the year of travel.
Las Vegas. Tofino. Vancouver. Costa Rica. I have never travelled so much in a single year or to such exotic places. Tofino was one of those magical family vacations that only comes together a few times in a lifetime. And I'm still coming down from my Costa Rica high - seriously jonesing for some casados.

2006 was the year of dating.
I don't usually talk about my personal life on my blog, but I can't leave out that 2006 was the year I hit the dating scene big time following the end of a six year marriage. Dating as a "grown up" is a bit weird, but also exciting and super fun. Took me a while to warm up to the whole online dating thing but I ended up meeting some very cool people and making new friends that I hope will still be around this time next year. So much more I could say on this topic, but that's all I'm willing to share here.

2006 was the year of concerts.
I renewed my love affair with music in 2005 and that theme continued in 2006. So many amazing shows... Constantines, J. Mascis/BSS/Bloc Party/Feist, Warped Tour (TFD!), Lagwagon, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Constantines (again). The first Contstantines show, at the Horseshoe, currently sits very near the top of the list of best concerts of all time. No joke. Looks like this theme is going to continue in 2007 as well, kicking off with Sebadoh in March.

2006 was the year of friends and family.
Did I say 2005 was the year of friends and family? Well, it doesn't even hold a candle to 2006. My best friend married the girl of his dreams and now I have two best friends. My cousin's wedding in Tofino turned into an extended family reunion of sorts. In Vancouver, I caught up with friends I hadn't seen in almost a decade. And did I say that my new job was the most significant event of 2006? Well, I take it back because in 2006 our family changed forever with the birth our little Benjamuffin. First grandchild for my parents. First boy in a generation. From here on in, things will never be the same and we couldn't be happier about that. Just look at him!

_001b

Tags:

0 comments: