Night Rider

Today was stressful and I needed to blow off some steam so I hopped on my bike and headed for the lakeshore just as the sun was sinking below the horizon. Bike rides seem so much faster after dark. Sure, I end up swallowing a few more bugs than usual but it's worth it for the feeling of being an awesome nighttime road warrior. Plus, all the working out I've been doing is starting to pay off so I was able to push hard for pretty much the entire 20k. Near the start, I was cooking down a hill next to the Gardiner, full of headlights, just as a silver Via train zipped by. It reminded me of a picture in some grade school textbook on transportation from back in the 70s. My turnaround point was the Humber College Sailing School. I stopped for a moment to watch the little sailboats bobbing the harbour and reflect on how much I appreciate where I live. On the way back I was greeted with sweeping views of the sparkly downtown city skyline and Ontario Place all lit up and decorated with giant dragons for some huge Asian festival.

Easily the best bike ride so far this year.

1 comments:

Mat-E said...

Phew! I saw the title and thought this was going to be another post on the The Hoff. If you think night riding on the road is fun, wait till you try it on the trail! As you say, you feel fast because you can't see the tops of any climbs (which takes away some of the mental "there's no way I can climb that" factor). And you feel more fluid and 'one with the trail' because you follow the singletrack with your headlamp, so your whole body snakes through the turns, whereas in the day it would just be your eyes moving around in your head. But I know, I know, you're not a trail rider...