Pandora's Box

One of the guys at work told me about Pandora this afternoon and I'm already completely addicted. Pandora provides custom online radio stations based on the Music Genome Project. It works on a "recommended if you like..." principle, where you input favourite bands or songs and it creates a station of similar tunes. I've created three stations so far and initial results are promising...

Indie Guitar Rock Station:
Input - Pavement, Constantines, The Get Up Kids, Guided By Voices, Archers of Loaf, Sebadoh
Output - J Mascis and the Fog, Superchunk, The Mekons, Burning Airlines, Portastatic

Punk Rawk Station:
Input - Lagwagon, Strung Out, NoFX, No Use For A Name, Bad Religion
Output - Voodoo Glow Skulls, MXPX, Down By Law, Sum 41 (sure, they're pop now but there were some face-melting punk/metal guitar solos on Chuck)

90s Alt Rock Station:
Input - Pixies, The Breeders, Frank Black, Jane's Addiction, Sonic Youth
Output - Jawbreaker, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Guided By Voices, Archers of Loaf (and we come full circle)

That's not to mention the numerous unheard of bands (at least to me) that showed up in my results. So far there have only been two songs I didn't like.

And I thought 2005 was the year of music!

0 comments: