The Uniform

Last weekend I went out to a King St. bar. Lots of singles, bad music, heavy drinking - not my usual scene. As I looked around at all the party people, something struck me as odd. Every single guy in the place was dressed exactly the same. Designer "pre-worn" jeans, fitted striped shirt (with the top few buttons undone) and over-gelled hair. Since when did this become the official mating uniform of T.O.? Maybe I've just been married too long or spent too much time in grungy beer joints, but I thought the whole point of cleaning up for a night on the town was to stand out from the crowd and get noticed? These guys need to call each other before they go out. Seriously. If I showed up at a bar in the same outfit as one of my friends, I would just die!

1 comments:

Matty said...

Having bounced between the two worlds for many moons(i.e. the cheesy T.O. club scene and the real world), I can answer your question. Jeans and striped shirts became the uniform about 3 years ago. It is now absolutely required, particularly amongst the younger lofter-types who want to look richer than they are. Truly rich people (i.e. Ultra Lounge) still seem to wear suits and / or $400 knit Boss T-shirts. Clubs like the one we were at last week have always been filled with vain people whose entire existence is geared towards their appearance, rather than their substance, and they will always all gravitate to the fad of the day. It does seem to be a little more widespread and consistent this time around, however. Nice places to visit, wouldn't wanna live there....