Look up Hypocrites in the Dictionary...

... and I'm sure you'll find the Traditional Values Coalition. I am so fed-up with fundamentalists crusading against pro-homosexual propaganda (poor Spongebob). What about us atheists? Who is going to protect us from crazy, right-wing, pro-Jebus propaganda?

Here are some choice excerpts from the TVC's news release, Santa Cruz Parents Must Act to Protect Public School Children.


The chairman of the Traditional Values Coalition called on religious parents in Santa Cruz to act to protect their children from homosexual activist teachers who are promoting homosexuality in their classrooms... Many parents have objected to the pro-homosexual propaganda being promoted. Clearly homosexual activists are attempting to capitalize on the impressionable minds of teens.

I object to Christian propaganda being promoted in public schools, yet I was subjected to it when I was a kid. This was back in the day, when the Lord's Prayer was part of our morning routine. I even had one born-again, activist teacher who would always find ways of turning the subject to religion (especially during the evolution unit in science). Luckily, my will is strong so the brainwashing didn't take.

TVC Chairman, the Rev. Louis P. Sheldon goes on to say,


I applaud every effort to restrict and even remove teachers whose promotion of homosexuality has overtaken their responsibility to serve as role models and teach our young and impressionable children. Teachers who violate the public’s trust and attempt to foist their sexual agenda on unsuspecting children do not belong in education.

I applaud every effort to restrict and even remove teachers whose promotion of Christianity has overtaken their responsibility to serve as role models and teach our young and impressionable children. Teachers who violate the public’s trust and attempt to foist their religious agenda on unsuspecting children do not belong in education.

And here's the kicker...


[The cross] underscores in a very visible way that diversity should include the Constitutionally-protected free exercise of religion. Christian kids are in these schools too and their rights should be protected.

What about the right of others to be free from Christian religion? Athiests' rights should be protected too!

OK, so you're thinking, "but the TVC is American and you're Canadian." True, and I concede that I am much more free from religion up here than I would be south of the border. But I get enough right-wing American media jammed down my throat every day I felt justified in ranting.

1 comments:

Erin said...

Rant on, sister! And when, oh when, will people realize that all these "issues" regarding homosexuality are not issues of religion but of fundamental human rights?? Freedom of religion my ass. Now I'm so angry, I must go post on my own blog. Grrrr.